Hylourgos

Default Grizzly vs Harbor Freight: is there really much difference?

Thanks Lobby and Noel.

I guess it's impossible to compare fairly without knowing the specific
data (about motors, bearings etc.) you mention. So far, at least on
those two machines, I can't tell any appreciable difference.

H.

"Noel Montgomery" wrote in message ...
"Hylourgos" wrote in message
om...
Very sensible, Jim. On some of the more common HF items that get
fairly good reviews here on the wreck (6" jointer, 14" bandsaw, DC,
and a few others) I'm wondering if there is really much difference
between what they offer and what Grizzly offers.

In comparing two of those machines, I don't see enough difference to
justify the price difference. Since you own machines from both, maybe
you can help me out here. What's your opinion on these?:

***14" Bandsaws:
[regularly on sale for $218, free shipping, plenty of stores for
pickup]

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G1019
[at $378, with s/h, what makes it worth $160 more?]

***6" jointers:
[regularly on sale for $180, free shipping, plenty of stores for
pickup]

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...number=G1182HW
[$383 with s/h. Again, is it really worth $200 more?]

[snip]

OK, I compared the pictures and specs. It is hard to tell the quality of
the bandsaws from the photos. I can see a few things where the Grizzly is
better (hinged wheel covers, etc.), but it is really hard to tell the
quality of the motor, guides and wheels from the picture on the web page.
This is where I have to rely on reviews on the rec.

On the jointers, the Grizzly appears to have a better fence system. The HF
model looks like an end mounted fence and the grizzly's is center mounted.
The Grizzly's stand appears more sturdy. Again, since I don't have either
of those particluar models, I can only rely on rec experience.

On either machine, the quality of the parts I mentioned (wheels, guides,
motor on the bandsaw and fence and motor on the jointer) can be the
difference between a usable tool and a totally unusable one. Would need to
do a goggle search to really decide.

Montyhp