Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Raspberry-pi newsgroup starts

On 2013-04-05, Theo Markettos wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 05/04/13 11:12, John Williamson wrote:
How much of the 50% reduction in message numbers and bytes used on the
greenend.org graph is due to people not using the binary groups to share
files with the rise of facebook and other sharing services such as
soundcloud and Flickr?

I don't know Richard's source for his graph for sure, but I'm fairly
confident it's text-only.

Oh, me too. I'm pretty sure volumes in terms of bytes are rising, but it's
all copyright theft.

You have obviously never run a news server.

Its MASSiVELY STUPENDOUSLY expensive to provide storage,.. Even for
text only.

Or it was back in the day.

W-e-e-e-e-e-lll

Multiple copies of every single message ever
written,

Perhaps you haven't run a news server after all. You apparently have no
idea how INN works, for a start.

How many news servers are there in the world, huge? or were then.

well over ten thousand at its height.

All carrying the same articles.

total waste of storage

Maybe it was back in the day. But now I think you could run a primary
text-only node off your home broadband connection without bothering the
'fair use' policy.

Quite.

--
Ineptocracy