Posted to rec.woodworking
jo4hn[_2_] jo4hn[_2_] is offline

Default Unisaw arbor bearing replacement

On 4/6/2013 6:40 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:
Has anyone replaced arbor bearings on a Unisaw? If so, did you do it without
removing the table top, or did you remove it first?

This article makes it sound fairly simple without removing the top OR the arbor
bracket, only the arbor shaft:
http://www.woodcentral.com/bparticle...bearings.shtml

The procedure on sawcenter.com has the top removed AND he removes the whole
arbor assembly as well.

My Unisaw is a model 36-844, circa 2001. I changed the belts yesterday, and
while the belts were off, I could hear the sound of dry clicking bearings when I
spun the blade by hand. There is no slop and they still spin freely but I
figured it would be best to go ahead and change them out.

I'll be replacing the originals with 2 quality Nachi bearings:
http://www.amazon.com/6203-2NSE-Bear.../dp/B0045E0E8U

Any input?

I have noticed over the years that most repairs of this sort are more
easily accomplished as a bench top job rather than trying to get at
nuts, washers, springs, clips, etc. inside the casing. Or maybe I just
don't have enough joints in my fingers.
mahalo,
jo4hn