Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Making a garden roller (metal project)

On Wed, 3 Apr 2013 12:03:42 -0700 (PDT), Stanley Schaefer
wrote:

On Apr 2, 9:14Â*am, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Always wanted a roller (water filled), about 4 feet wide that I can drag behind my small tractor. Â*Is a used water heater cord a good candidate for this project? Â*Anybody done that?
Thanks,
Ivan Vegvary

My granddad did that, but used some pipe fittings and pipe for a
handle. We kids got to push it all over the lawn. Don't know if it
was new or used, was galvanized and HEAVY, at least for kid-power. He
didn't have a lathe, so I don't know how he got the threads out of the
floor flanges that he used for handle pivots. He had a lot of spare
time, maybe he just used a rat tail file and filed them out. He was a
plumber at one time, so probably the whole thing cost him nothing but
his time. Really not sure if it an actual heater tank or a header
tank for a boiler, he did stoker and boiler service, too. Had a
riveted overlapped seam. A defunct 100 lb propane cylinder might
work as well, maybe better, no seam. Probably a few of those that
flunked or need hydro at the local propane service for free.
Stan

Around here..the guys take a piece of 8-12" pipe (oil field country)
stick a piece of cardboard on one end with a hole in it big enough to
put on a piece of 3/4" or 1" pipe, stand it on that end, put the pipe
down through the cardboard and simply fill it with concrete, and then
using wire or string and centering the high end, and then let the
sucker cure. Da Rich Guys use a piece of 3/4" plywood on the lower
end with a hole in it. Its not rocket science and if its got a little
wobble in it..shrug..who cares? Ya simply weld on a handle and Bobs
your uncle.

Gunner