Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Incandescent versus fluorescent candle bulbs

On 05/04/2013 06:41, MM wrote:
Tesco online groceries only have ONE type of candle bulb with standard
bayonet cap and that is a 7W fluorescent type for £3.60. Three pounds
and sixty pence for ONE friggin' bulb!

Probably the Megaman ultra compact candle bulbs... they used to be £6
each or thereabouts.

IME they are "ok ish". they look ok, the light colour is not too bad
when looking directly at the bulb, but the spectrum is still gappy, so
unless you have at least one incandescent in there as well the colour
rendition is poor. Light output is a bit feeble though at 1/2 to 1/3 of
that of a real bulb (based on measurements I did with a lux meter). The
ones I had lasted about the same as 4 or five regular bulbs.

How come the "modern" fluorescent bulbs are so expensive? Or is it
just the supermarkets finding yet another way of ripping us off?

They have gone back to their real price as the subsidies are removed. If
you ignore the actual light output problem, then in real terms they are
not that expensive, since a 40W filament lamp will use say £5 worth of
juice in its 1000h life compared to say a quids worth for the CFL.

--
Cheers,

John.