Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default confused by lathe behavior

3500 - wow nice heavy. I have a 11x44 Sheldon myself.
Martin

On 4/4/2013 6:19 PM, Jon Elson wrote:
Cydrome Leader wrote:

There's nothing to keep the cutter from being pulled into
the work on a sherline. Mine has about 2-3 mil of backlash after some
adjustments, but there's no real positive lock of any sort, just tension
on a wedge shaped plastic gib. You can only get it so tight before it just
acts as a brake and nothing moves at all anymore.

SHERLINE??!!

I now have a 3500 Lb. Sheldon, and I STILL have to worry about things like
this, but somewhat less. You CERTAINLY have to be VERY aware
of cutting forces on a light machine like the Sherline or Taig (or ghastly
Chinese mini-lathes.)

Jon