nestork nestork is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Cheeseman View Post
One other alternative I was thinking about that would not require disassembly: do you think I could spray the areas with the spray version of liquid electrical tape? It would leave the rubberized coating wherever I sprayed it and it would be easier to apply than packing tape.

Bill
I've never even heard of a spray version of electrical tape.

But, I'm thinking spray paint is an alkyd paint and SHOULD form an impermeable film over the Gorilla tape, and that's all you need to stop the smell; an impermeable film. (see PS below)

Even painting boiled linseed oil (if you can't buy an alkyd paint or primer anymore where you live) over that gorilla tape with a 3 inch wide paint roller should knock the smell down substantially too.

But, maybe give it a day or two for the smell to dissipate on it's own. It might still do that.

PS: When there's a fire in a house and the house still has that "burnt" smell in it even after all the burnt materials have been removed, it's because the compounds causing the smell have permeated into the porous latex paint on the walls and ceilings. To eliminate the smell, restoration companies will often repaint the interior walls and ceilings of the house with a product called "KILZ" sealer:

Ditto if someone buys a house that a heavy smoker used to live in. The new owners will often paint the walls and ceilings with KILZ sealer before repainting over the sealer with a new colour paint to get rid of the "cigarette smoke smell".

And, I have absolutely no clue why people use KILZ sealer for this instead of any ordinary alkyd primer or paint. People who don't know much about paint presume that KILZ is different than other alkyd primers or paints because KILZ dries much more quickly than a regular alkyd primer or paint. But, if you look at the MSDS for KILZ, you find that it's an ordinary alkyd primer, and the only reason why it dries fast is because instead of using just mineral spirits as a thinner, it uses a mixture of 60 percent mineral spirits and 40 percent naptha. Naptha is camping fuel, and it evaporates much faster than mineral spirits. So, when you paint with KILZ, what evaporates from the wet KILZ film is different, but what drys up on the wall and remains there is exactly the same as if you'd use any ordinary alkyd primer.

And, it's not that primers seal smells in better than paints, it's that alkyds crosslink much more densely than drying oils like linseed oil or Tung Oil, and it's that crosslinking that makes for a more impermeable film than you can get with a drying oil.

So, if a spray paint works for you, then you can use any spray paint, not just KILZ to seal in the smell of that glue solvent. I don't think they make water based spray paints, so any spray paint you buy should be an alkyd paint thinned with alcohol (or naptha or acetone) so it dries really fast. (It doesn't matter what the thinner they use is cuz ALL of the thinner will evaporate from the paint film as it dries.)

Last edited by nestork : April 5th 13 at 08:23 AM