Posted to misc.legal,alt.home.repair

Default Time and a half for over 40 hours

On Thu, 04 Apr 2013 19:45:29 -0400, Frank
wrote:

On 4/4/2013 6:10 AM, Robert wrote:
On Apr 3, 8:04 pm, Metspitzer wrote:

I bet working for free does help you keep your job.

Actually , I was never fired or "laid off" for my entire
35 year career, even tho I was working in the defense
industry where typically, when a contract was filled,
engineers were shed. I saw many many co-workers
get pink slips -- many smarter and with more experience
than myself -- and the only reason I could see was
that the company wanted to "hang on" to people that
it knew could be depended on.....
It might not work everywhere, but it sure as hell
worked at Bendix, Texas Instruments, and Raytheon....

And "working for free" didn't happen. That's why
bonuses and "paid time off" were created. I have
no complaints.

I was a professional too and exempt from the labor laws.
Never considered it a disadvantage as non-exempts did not make anywhere
near as much even with a lot of overtime.

A long time ago, I was working long hours (70+hrs per week) along side
another engineer and a technician. The Technician was pulling down
over a grand a week, with OT. Each of us were making a third of that.
It ****ed the other engineer off, no end. shrug

But, this is not true for girl in question and she is in a quandary at
minimum wage without overtime but will be unemployed if she turns in
employer. Bad deal, but maybe she should just go along with it for a
while if she needs the money.

If she actually ever puts any OT in.

This is just a starter job that most
people would not want to remain in. I'm hearing today that college
graduates are taking jobs like this just to make a little money and keep
busy until something better develops.

I used to live in a college town. We knew several students who waited
tables through school. There's good money in that. The hours are
great, too.