Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default confused by lathe behavior

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Cydrome Leader fired this volley in news:kjkivb
:

Why might this happen?

hogging. Try reducing the backrack of your cutter.

Hmm forgot about this. I've been fiddling with toolpost height, setting
the cutter so that a facing pass doesn't leave a nub at the end of
something. Too low definetely makes the parting blade very unhappy as the
work starts to climb and chatter like crazy.

I'm able to compensate for this behavior, it just seems opposite of what
I'd expect.

My first guess is that a deeper cut would tend to be less than you dialed
in as the machine everthing is flexing apart. I'd then assume a wimpy fine
cut would be about what the handwheel would indicate there's less stress
on the machine, work and everything in between. Going over what I dialed
in would be possible due to backlash if the cutter is being pulled INTO
the part.

Is that about right?