Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Espen[_2_] Dan Espen[_2_] is offline

Default Salt for melting snow

carson ridder writes:

On Mon, 01 Apr 2013 11:17:52 -0700, wrote:

He could sprinkle some amount out in one small area
and see what happens....

I've seen it "work" but I've never really understood how salt, which raises the freezing point, "melts" ice.

It seems to me, that salt doesn't melt ice so much as it prevents ice from forming out of water puddles.

I guess, with the warmth of the sun, that's tantamount to the same thing though.

But how does it work when it's really cold outside (so cold that water never forms from the ice)?

All it takes is a little salt water to form, then you have the salt
water liquid dissolving more salt and wetting more ice.

Even when ice is way below the freezing point, there's always a little
water being formed and re-frozen. The same way water can evaporate
without boiling.

--
Dan Espen