Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg Guarino[_2_] Greg Guarino[_2_] is offline

Default Office Desk is F I N I S H E D, whew!

On 4/4/2013 10:57 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Thursday, April 4, 2013 8:26:47 AM UTC-6, Greg Guarino wrote:
Which leaves me with a quandary, because I don't have the time, the
space, the tools or the skill to build something quite as nice as
that. Should I just chuck it and take up knitting instead? Nah.

Doesn't have to be as nice as that. Don't compete with Leon, except
for maybe finishing a project within a time limit.

My post, despite a lack of emoticons, was somewhat tongue-in-cheek. I'm
old enough to realize that no matter how good I might get at something,
there will always be someone ahead of me. I'm a beginner at woodworking,
but the same holds even for things that I'm allegedly pretty good at;
piano, for instance.

What's more, skill comes with a greater ability to recognize the skills
of others; I thus have an even better grasp of the gap (chasm) between
me and Keith Jarrett for instance. But I've already copped a particular
chord change from his rendition of "O Danny Boy", and I've gotten a lot
of good ideas here as well.

Despite your limited resources, what home application/project would
you possibly want/need, that this design feature is applicable for?
Build it with the resources you have. Doesn't matter that it
wouldn't be absolutely perfect. You think Leon's, or anyone's, first
project was perfect? He's already mentioned possibly tweaking this
project's design, so you learn by doing and improving on your
previous work.

I learn something new with every step, and wish I had known it before.
Then I discover a further improvement, and again wish I had learned it
earlier. And then ...

Maybe do a scale model, by hand, without major tools, etc. See what
there is (nuances?) to learn about making projects with curved
features. Leon notes he had to pay close attention to making the
curve feature. Most of my custom chairs have curved features. I
don't always get them exactly right, the first attempt (dry fit).
Sometimes, parts have to be remade to better/best fit.

I'm currently working on a set of bookcases, composed entirely of
straight lines. Suddenly increased family obligations have slowed the
work to a crawl, but I've finished two units out of four. I've found the
work to be good therapy, by the way, exactly because of the
problem-solving aspect of it. It occupies my mind for a while.

I in fact did build a small mock-up first, to practice making dadoes and
face frames and to test out some finishing methods. Here's a photo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...1493/lightbox/

Make a project that incorporates a curved feature(s), any project,
with the resources you have, and don't forget to show us some pics.

Pictures? Those I've got. (another hobby). Here are the first two units:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...1493/lightbox/

And the "design":

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...1493/lightbox/

Not bored yet? Here's a set chronicling how a novice like me works his
way through a project like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...th/8327630522/

Thanks for the encouragement. As I mentioned, I intend to get better at
this, whenever I can find the time.