View Single Post
  #38   Report Post  
Posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster

Default Office Desk is F I N I S H E D, whew!

On Thursday, April 4, 2013 8:26:47 AM UTC-6, Greg Guarino wrote:
Which leaves me with a quandary, because I don't have the time, the space, the tools or the skill to build something quite as nice as that. Should I just chuck it and take up knitting instead? Nah.

Doesn't have to be as nice as that. Don't compete with Leon, except for maybe finishing a project within a time limit.

Despite your limited resources, what home application/project would you possibly want/need, that this design feature is applicable for? Build it with the resources you have. Doesn't matter that it wouldn't be absolutely perfect. You think Leon's, or anyone's, first project was perfect? He's already mentioned possibly tweaking this project's design, so you learn by doing and improving on your previous work.

Maybe do a scale model, by hand, without major tools, etc. See what there is (nuances?) to learn about making projects with curved features. Leon notes he had to pay close attention to making the curve feature. Most of my custom chairs have curved features. I don't always get them exactly right, the first attempt (dry fit). Sometimes, parts have to be remade to better/best fit.

Make a project that incorporates a curved feature(s), any project, with the resources you have, and don't forget to show us some pics.

Sonny