Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg Guarino[_2_] Greg Guarino[_2_] is offline

Default Office Desk is F I N I S H E D, whew!

On 4/3/2013 10:58 AM, Leon wrote:
This project has come to a close and adds to our collection of, too damn
big" furniture.

Anyway I may add some accent lighting to the upper unit and I need to
address the wires under the desk top, I have plenty of support under the
desk top that I could hang the wiring, sub wolfer, and UPS.

I think I may eventually extend the top trim out another layer and put
LED ribbon lighting under it's edge and or add the same type lighting
along the bottom rail just above the monitor. That may be too close and
cause glare, maybe not.

So here is a shot of the desk from a distance just outside the office.
The desk and top are about 86" tall, and 96" wide. The desk top is 34"
deep. I am happy with all of the arcs, the top rails of each desk
drawer, the gradual one just under the desk top in front, it has another
3/4" rail, attached just behind it and there are 3 more pairs of rails
behind that. And I am especially happy with the ark created from the
door top rails that integrate with the cubby top face frame rail.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...3717/lightbox/

From inside the office straight into the desk top,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...3232/lightbox/

And a couple of close ups of the in/out boxes in the top. I used the
Incra iBox jig to cut assist with cutting the box joints for the boxes.
The whistling boxes are a 1/4" white oak.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...3816/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...6151/lightbox/

I like this piece a lot, especially the upper portion. The gentle curve
formed by the door rails that continues into the face frame arch is my
favorite feature.

Which leaves me with a quandary, because I don't have the time, the
space, the tools or the skill to build something quite as nice as that.
Should I just chuck it and take up knitting instead?

Nah. For one thing there'd still be people who kick my ass at that
skill, and some of them would be ninety year-old ladies. But more
importantly, I'm not (quite) dead yet; I can still learn a thing or two.
I plan instead to steal as many ideas as I possibly can from guys like
you, perhaps including an arch of my own. Now if I only had a band saw.