Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Transition Zone Transition Zone is offline

Default Calling All Inventors. Fridge as dehumidifier.

On Apr 4, 3:31*am, mike wrote:
On 4/3/2013 7:16 PM, wrote:

I noticed this was an older post and I have never commented on a blog before so not sure if you guys will even see this. Wandering if the fridge thing worked. Also thinking of doing one for are wood kiln but I was thinking of throwing a bucket of water in a mini fridge and dropping a small pond pump in the bucket. Like the ones used in landscaping for water features and then drilling two holes in the side of the fridge and run a 3/8 line from the pump threw the fridge and kiln wall and make a small coil in there with drip pan and drain line and then run the line back in the fridge and dump in the bucket. The kiln tempature is 110-120 usually with 80 percent humidity and the water running threw would be just above freezing. A dehumidifier will run constant and don't last long in those temps so we are going to try it.

Do the math.
Get yourself a calculator and a thermodynamics book.
Calculate the energy cost/latent heat of condensing all that water
using a fridge.

What is your outside air temp/humidity?

Look it all up on the psychrometric chart and you'll probably
find you don't need any refrigeration at all. *The curves are so steep
in that area that you get a lot of humidity bang for the temperature
buck.

Just blast the wet air out and bring in fresh air through
a heat exchanger.

Even then, this discussion sounds like your trying to hang-on to every
penny. Fridges aren't all that expensive to run. Just leave the
fridge running with the door open; freezer door open even better. The
inside will get frosted up quickly and that represents the
dehumidifying. Actually, you can run 2 or 3 freezers with doors open
in that area, so the place will dehumidify faster. You just have to
empty drip pans and clean out frost more often or put one outside for
a day to defrost.