Posted to misc.legal,alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default Time and a half for over 40 hours

On Apr 4, 2:37*am, Robert wrote:
On Apr 3, 4:38 pm, Metspitzer wrote:

http://www.ehow.com/list_6734806_geo...ours-work.html

My niece just started working for a company yesterday. *She is working
in a convenient store that also sells gas. *She has almost no job
experience. *She says her boss does not pay time and a half for over
40 hours.

I am assuming that if she says anything, the boss will just quit
telling her to come in. *What is the best way to address this problem?

Before I retired, I was an engineer which the government classified
as "professional management".... There is an exemption for such
people to be paid a fixed salary, and any additional hours that might
be required *get ZERO overtime pay..... This is the present law...

It didn't bother me a bit. *I got great raises every year, often a
year
end bonus, and, most of the time only slight overtime was required
except for exceptional circumstances when I was
expected to do whatever was required to meet the needs of
the company...

The distinction is this.... *:
* *Some employees try to work the minimum hours, take the
maximum coffee breaks and sick leave, and go to a better job
with minimum notice *given as soon as another opportunity presents
itself.

* * Other employees are working as if they are partners in
the company, putting in whatever time is needed to get thru
a crisis , and don't care about maximizing how much time they can get
paid for without working but rather "how can my time be better
used to benefit the company".

* * Which type of employee do you think keeps their jobs in
a recession, or that the company tries to hang on to ???

* *It's different attitudes that people have.... *MY attitude
worked well for me, and I retired at 55 with no complaints.

*If I could advise your niece, I would suggest that she set
goals for herself, determine what she needed to do to
achieve those goals, make a plan , *and put up with occasional crap
that
might come along without complaining.... *It looks to me
like she considers herself, now, to be a "worker bee" instead
of a "supervisor bee"..... Unless she changes that approach,
she will be at the bottom of the ladder all her life...

* We all start out as worker bees. *It's our attitude that
makes the difference.

Good advice.