Posted to alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default Electric Stove

On Apr 3, 9:30*pm, "
wrote:
On Apr 3, 3:39*pm, RBM wrote:

On 4/3/2013 3:24 PM, harry wrote: On Apr 3, 4:19 pm, Dottie wrote:
I have a mostly still good electric range with burners on the top - not the new flat top kind. *Anyway, one of the elements came loose from the part that holds it together so I ordered a new one. *Now I have a problem of a different kind. *When I turn it on high to heat it up, its o.k., but when I lower the temp .. it sometimes stays on high. *Other times, I start it on medium heat and it will go to high... and sometimes it works just fine. *My question is -- is the problem with the element or is it with the stove where the connection is? *I hate to have to buy a new stove but I am a little wary about it now. *What if someone who doesn't know about the problem turns it on? *Everything else is o.k.
The switch.
It has a device that turns the hot plate on and off on a regular cycle
adjusted by the knob.
We call them simmerstats in the UK.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_Regulator_(stove)

We call them infinite heat switches in the U.S.

Sounds like the solution to our energy problems.

Talking of which, are you aware that the USA is now exporting gas
(natural) by tanker to the UK/elsewhere in Europe. Small scale at the
moment. But when it ramps up, your gas cost will be the same as ours.
(ie lots more)

USA is closer to us thantheME.