Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stanley Schaefer Stanley Schaefer is offline

Default Making a garden roller (metal project)

On Apr 2, 9:14*am, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Always wanted a roller (water filled), about 4 feet wide that I can drag behind my small tractor. *Is a used water heater cord a good candidate for this project? *Anybody done that?
Thanks,
Ivan Vegvary

My granddad did that, but used some pipe fittings and pipe for a
handle. We kids got to push it all over the lawn. Don't know if it
was new or used, was galvanized and HEAVY, at least for kid-power. He
didn't have a lathe, so I don't know how he got the threads out of the
floor flanges that he used for handle pivots. He had a lot of spare
time, maybe he just used a rat tail file and filed them out. He was a
plumber at one time, so probably the whole thing cost him nothing but
his time. Really not sure if it an actual heater tank or a header
tank for a boiler, he did stoker and boiler service, too. Had a
riveted overlapped seam. A defunct 100 lb propane cylinder might
work as well, maybe better, no seam. Probably a few of those that
flunked or need hydro at the local propane service for free.
Stan