Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_47_] Bill[_47_] is offline

Default Raffling off a project for a cause

Swingman wrote:
On 4/2/2013 10:43 PM, Mike M wrote:

Happy to hear that. It would be nice if there was a way to contribute
and have it tax deductible. I've gone 4 years now with out paying
income tax, and I enjoy not paying into the Ponzi scheme anymore then
necessary. Just a thought but might help her raise more money.

As I've said before, that was instigated by a family friend without my
knowledge or input, but from what I understand I don't think it is
possible for donations to an individual for medical purposes to be tax
deductible for the donor without the recipient being some kind of
registered 501(c) charitable organization.

I'm fairly certain that any donation is treated as a "gift" to the
recipient and as a result would not be taxable as income to the
recipient for Federal purposes.

The last time I checked (about 3 years ago), gifts up to $14,000 (per
year) were not taxable. IIRC, there may also be a cummulative limit.