Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default Raffling off a project for a cause

Mike M wrote in
:

On Mon, 01 Apr 2013 18:14:02 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 3/1/2013 7:38 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 2/28/2013 10:20 PM, jtpr wrote:

You all touched me very deeply with your donations. But I cannot
tell you the effect this will have on Mel's wife.

You just got to the very heart of the matter with that last above,
Jim.

From what I can tell, and having just been given the opportunity to
observe the effect of a gift/donation on the recipient, it has made
me understand that the monetary element, regardless of the size and
while of necessary importance, turns out to be about half the
benefit.

These folks are sick, or tired, or both, and their energy levels and
ability to carry on are being taxed to the utmost.

When seeing folks, sometimes complete strangers, willing to help
_them_, you observe in the recipient the other half of that gift of
kindness and generosity: a renewed energy to carry on.

Gives that old saying, "The milk of human kindness.", a new meaning
and understanding, eh?

Reason for some very cautious optimism today with regard to my
youngest daughter. Too early to be jumping for joy, but after a month
of Interferon treatment, an MRI yesterday (yep, on Easter Sunday)
indicated that tumors appear to be slowly regressing, and that bone
growth is progressing.

Once again, thanks to all of you here who donated on her behalf, can't
tell you how much that means to all of us.

Happy to hear that. It would be nice if there was a way to contribute
and have it tax deductible. I've gone 4 years now with out paying
income tax, and I enjoy not paying into the Ponzi scheme anymore then
necessary. Just a thought but might help her raise more money.

Mike M

Because this is to help a specific individual, rather than a charitable
cause, it is not tax deductible. That does not imply that Give Forward
isn't a noble and charitbale way to give, just that tax law doesn't let
it be "charitable" for tax purposes.

--
Best regards
Han