Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do you snake a kitchen sink & how to remove a corroded steelnipple when only 1/4" sticks out?

On Apr 3, 12:35*am, "Danny D." wrote:
On Tue, 02 Apr 2013 17:37:24 -0500 Vic Smith wrote:

Even badly rusted 1 1/2" won't "crush easily." *Besides,
you don't how far the T is in the wall. *So it's the right tool for
removing the stub. *But I never recommended that, just answered his
tool question. *He never posted pictures.

Hi Vic,

You were wholly correct - the nipple was badly rusted - but even
so, as you predicted, it certainly would not crush easily.

I snapped this picture of my sister's sink, showing WHY it was
impossible to run a snake through the top, without removing
the strainer basket apparatus:
*http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12578273.jpg

My Easter temporary repair was badly leaking, so much that
she had placed a bowl but it still allowed the pipes to leak:
*http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12578274.jpg

There was a twist fitting at the top of each sink, which was
easy to remove with a pair of curved locking pliers:
*http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12578275.jpg

With the two sink compression fittings off, the plumbing just
fell out of the nipple (it was NOT twisted into the nipple!).
*http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12578276.jpg

Applying penetrating oil was probably too little too late, as
it did absolutely nothing - even after banging for 10 minutes,
which only served to loosen up crud which piled up below:
*http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12578277.jpg

A closeup shows there was potentially more nipple sticking out
than I at first thought - due to a corroded faceplate:
*http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12578280.jpg

The faceplate would not spin off, but it peeled off easily.
Now I could finally see WHAT the nipple was screwed into:
*http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12578281.jpg

Applying heat sounds like a good idea, but, in reality, it
was a bad idea as the wood started burning. I couldn't figure
HOW to apply heat to JUST the pipe that the nipple was screwed into!
*http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12578282.jpg

Now it was time to twist the nipple off. I lined up my curved
jaw pliers and my pipe wrenches, and, one by one, they each failed:
*http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12578283.jpg

This fancy offset pipe wrench was the worst disappointment of all!
It wouldn't bite in the least, no matter what I tried. It just
kept slipping. I realized at that point that it did NOT have
serrated jaws. The jaws are perfectly smooth. Which is useless!
*http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12578284.jpg

This curved-jaw vise grip also failed its promise. It wouldn't
stay on as I twisted, no matter how hard I clamped it down on
the nipple:
*http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12578286.jpg

So, it was back to the basic pipe wrenches! I lined them up,
starting from the smallest to the largest - to try to remove
the recalcitrant nipple:
*http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12578287.jpg

The smallest pipe wrench fit and bit beautifully; but lying on
my back, pushing UP with the wrench (it would not fit on the
left side, pushing down), was a dismal failure. Nothing budged.
*http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12578288.jpg

The third pipe wrench size fit perfectly - but again - it would
only fit on the right side, which necessitated lying on my back
and pushing upward to try to spin the 1960s rusted-on nipple off:
*http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12578291.jpg

I banged. I pushed. I swore. I banged and pushed s'more. I failed:
*http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12578292.jpg

After an hour or more of getting nowhere, I finally decided to
listen to your suggestions and to move on to plan "B", which
was to use the Fernco fitting:
*http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12578345.jpg

Of course, the Fernco fitting necessitated cutting off the
female threaded coupling that was supposed to be threaded onto
the male nipple:
*http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12578357.jpg

At this point, I belatedly realized that, even with a trunk
chock full of tools, I had forgotten to bring a hacksaw, and,
my sister had no tools that would have done me any good. So,
I fabricated a quick jig out of an angle grinder & some nearby
brick ornamental work - which allowed me to spin the pipe into
the stationary angle grinder - and I was able to sand down the
rough edges on the concrete (which worked surprisingly well!):
*http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12578294.jpg

I had only PVC cement with me, so I headed off to the hardware
store to pick up ABC cement, which I used to glue the new
45 degree elbow and straight pipe onto the threaded end of the
P-trap horizontal pipe:
*http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12578293.jpg

Finally, I wiggled it all together, and, tested it with a sink
full of water - and while it looks like hell, it didn't leak
anymore (which was the primary constraint). I'm not sure how
long this will last (I really preferred to put a new nipple on),
but, as Oren is fond of saying, "It looks OK from way out here":
*http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12578295.jpg

I DO have some questions - but this post is long enough that
I will put them in a separate post.

Looks like you did a good job to me.