Posted to alt.home.repair
Danny D.[_8_] Danny D.[_8_] is offline

Default How do you snake a kitchen sink & how to remove a corrodedsteel nipple when only 1/4" sticks out?

On Tue, 02 Apr 2013 17:37:24 -0500 Vic Smith wrote:

It's possible the exposed threads can be chased with a
die, doped, and work just fine.

In hindsight, chasing the threads is probably the best idea.

But, I did not have a die, and, well, none of the rental
shops I had called yesterday had the internal pipe
wrench so I doubt they'd have a 1.5 inch pipe die.

Out of curiosity, had I bought a pipe die, should it
have been this $275 setup I just found by googling?

RIDGID Pipe Threading Head, 1 1/2 In, RH, Alloy
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/RID...ing-Head-4NV28
Price (ea.) $172.00
Complete Pipe Threading Head, NPT Size 1 1/2 Inches,
Includes Set of RH, Alloy Dies
Grainger Item #4NV28, Model #37410, UNSPSC #27112805

Along with this handle:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/RID...d-Handle-3AFP4
Grainger Item #3AFP4
Price (ea.) $100.95

Which would have cost about $275 ... or is there a cheaper way to
re-thread 1.5 inch steel nipples?