Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default what are you guys using for rust removal/paint prep?

Nate Nagel wrote:
Hi all,

am thrashing on Jeep again... vehicle is mostly rust free
(surprisingly, since it's from PA) but I've started ripping the old rear
bumper and gas tank skid plate off so as to install a new rear bumper
that isn't made from poop and fail, and has proper D-ring tabs and a
Class 3 receiver for it.

So far, I've managed to destroy everything that I needed to and nothing
that I didn't want to, so I've got that going for me.

However, as part of this exercise, me being as I am, all of the little
bits that came off that need to go back on I would like to have cleaned
and painted so that they won't be overly rusty (or just plain gone) in
another 14 years when I take it apart again (or more likely, my cousin's
little son, who thinks this Jeep is the greatest thing since sliced
bread, does.)

My usual weapon of choice is the magic derusting tank, the electrolytic
thing that if you haven't used yet, you should. Basically just take a
large plastic (non-conductive) container, a piece of scrap steel, some
water, and a little bit of washing soda to make the water conductive,
hook your 12V power supply or old battery charger up to the scrap (+ive)
and piece you want to clean up (-ive) let sit for a few hours et voila.
Nothing short of miraculous.

Well, that alone caused an issue, I've been using the crap out of the
thing and I'm nearly out of washing soda. Apparently Ace Hardware is
the ONLY store in my area that sells it anymore - I called or stopped by
all of the grocery stores, big box hardware stores, Target, Wal-Mart,
etc. - no can do. But at least I have some, and also found a pool
supply place that will sell me some soda ash if I go back with a
container (which I probably will, because they're much closer than the
nearest Ace.)

Next issue - the gas tank skid plate. It's far bigger than my
container, and even just the flanges where the rust is won't fit in. So
I figured I'd drop back and mechanically remove as much as I can (angle
grinder, then wire brush) then finish with some phosphoric acid solution
e.g. "Metal Ready" or similar and just use some rust-oleum rusty metal
crap which I normally hate because it's so soft but hey, it's not going
to get damaged and I'll just coat it with roofing tar anyway where it
mates to the frame rails.

Issue: Phosphoric acid, "metal ready" etc. seems to also be similarly
off the shelves of anywhere that I'd expect to find it. I did pick up a
jug of something called "Evapo-Rust" we will see how that works out but
I have to admit that I'm awful skeptical of anything that I haven't used
before because nothing that I've found ever seems to work any better
than the two old reliables, phosphoric acid and the electrolytic tanks.

Where are you guys finding phosphoric acid, or are you all having the
same problems?

I'm starting to think that $250 for a shiny new skid plate, while a lot
of money, might not be exorbitant considering the PITA that this
exercise is turning out to be given all the time that I've spent trying
to find supplies and not waving a spray bomb or turning wrenches...

nate

Nate you have been walking right past TONS of washing soda in the Wal~Mart.
Target as well. It is cleverly hidden though. Go to the pool chemicals and look for a
product called pH Plus. If you want a larger amount hit a pool supply place. It is 99-100%
pure Sodium Carbonate aka Washing Soda aka Soda Ash.

I buy it in 40 pound bags for my tanks.

Phosphoric acid is available at most body shop supply places.
I buy it from a local outfit in plastic 5 gallon pails and mix it down.
I have seen it at the local Home Depot. Sold as a concrete cleaner.

Evapo-Rust works but you need to soak the part in it for it to work very well, and warming
it helps a lot. I use it for small stuff. Doesn't stink like most other methods.

Oh if you want a CHEAP and easy large tank there are a couple options. One buy one of the
cheap kiddie pools and use it. OR take a chunk of pool liner fabric and a few pallets and
toss together a tank. I did this with a small trailer frame. Oh and don't forget you could
do it one half at a time!

--
Steve W.