Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default Basswood for cabinets?

On 4/2/2013 8:05 PM, JayPique wrote:
Anyone used basswood to make cabinet doors? How does it compare to ewp? to popar? Is it expensive? I was in a shop last week that used it and touted the stability of it. I've no experience myself, so I was just wondering what anyone else thought of it.
Thanks.

No experience using it for doors.
It is light in weight.
It is easy to carve.

It is very plain when compared to poplar. No grain, no colorinig (might
be an advantage). It is pretty nice to work with. I have used it for
other purposes. More in model making, and some carving (not fine carvings).

--
Jeff