Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul Drahn Paul Drahn is offline

Default Lathe questions

On 4/2/2013 2:11 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
I got an email from a pistol smith buddy of mine who is looking for a
very small lathe..something with a footprint under 3 feet:

"Hi buddy.
Can you give me your opinion please.
Are these junk, or usable for me?
Can I turn 1.5" on them?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350747008678

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250978927093

Or is something this better for me?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111027293774

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251243228471"

Ive had zero experience with the little ones so dont have a clue as to
suitibility of any of them.

Anyone have any comments?

Ive been trying to find him a decent small South Bend or similar with
little luck. He has very tight quarters and only works on pistols

Gunner

Have him look for a small Prazi lathe with 3 and 4 jaw chucks and, if
possible the collet chuck and collets. I have had one for years and sold
it to my company and replaced it with an EMCO.

The Prazi lacks the ability to reverse the lead screw, so no left handed
threads, but that is something rarely done.

Paul