Posted to uk.d-i-y
robgraham robgraham is offline

Default Bringing the house down...

On Apr 2, 4:19*pm, John Rumm wrote:
On 02/04/2013 09:45, newshound wrote:

On 01/04/2013 23:30, John Rumm wrote:

A tale of woe for your entertainment:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...e_rubbing_pipe

Could have been thermal movements, could also have been fretting from
small amplitude vibration in the system.

Pretty sure it was thermal - there is no vibration that you can feel or
hear in the system and it is a very long straight run of 22mm that is
fixed at the far end. Some form of galvanic action was also a possibility..

Looking at the scale deposit on the pipe, suggests that it had been
leaking for a while - but possibly at a rate where it evaporated before
causing any problems. It also occurred to me, that having relatively
recently fitted a scale inhibitor (phosphate doser) to house hot water
supply, that may have prevented scale from resealing the hole quite as
effectively.

--
Cheers,

John.

| * * * * *Internode Ltd - *http://www.internode.co.uk* * * * * *|
| * * * *John Rumm - john(at)internode(dot)co(dot)uk * * * * * * *|

Well written story, John; I'm not sure I would have had the presence
of mind, or the will, to photo it all.. I have a very similar eaves
area in our extension section - I'm now passed the three score and
ten, and it is probably 15 years since I last crawled along it.

Your tale of woe had me trying to remember if there were any possibly
similar disaster sources along there, as equally the pipe runs are
long. I don't think there are - and am b****y well hoping my memory is
up to scratch !!

Rob