Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Making a garden roller (metal project)

On 4/2/2013 10:14 AM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Always wanted a roller (water filled), about 4 feet wide that I can
drag behind my small tractor. Is a used water heater cord a good
candidate for this project? Anybody done that?

Not w/ water heater, no, but did w/ old pressure tank last year when
regraded around house to fix drainage problems.

Somebody mentioned needs to be non-bladder type--I solved that by simply
drilling access hole at other end to fill it. Didn't even bother to
drill/tap/weld on nut for plug, just used a properly sized hole for an
on-hand plastic plug. Worked quite well...

The entry pipe was in center of bottom so just made a wood bearing block
around a piece of pipe for that end; used existing welded-on 5/8 nut at
top there for a lifting hook to fasten an axle for the other.

Luckily had an old drawbar from ancient small farm implement out in the
equipment bone yard of stuff that didn't sell in the auction so didn't
even have to fabricate that...

Sure could do quite similar w/ the water heater tank alto will need more
hand work 'cuz won't have the convenient parts already in right places
as will the pressure tank...