Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default Wall oven junction box location.

On 4/2/2013 7:19 AM, wrote:
On Apr 2, 9:09 am, wrote:
On Monday, April 1, 2013 9:47:22 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I am replacing my wife's wall oven with the same size oven. (24 inch). The old oven has been there for at least 12 years.

The directions with the new oven say to put the oven on 2x4 runners. My old oven did not have these. That is no problem. I wonder though if metal studs would be better to use as runners becasue they are non combustable?

Anyway, the question I have concerns the junction box. My current box is located on the surface of the drywall directly on the back wall off the opening and toward the bottom. The directions say, "locate an approved junction box, in the suggested location, a minimum of 23 7/8 above the runners".

My current juntion box is not 23 7/8 above the runners.

My question is this: 1. Why is this a requirement? Does it have to do with heat from the oven or something else?

2. Does this box really need to be moved, and if so what is the best way to do it?

What I dont understand it has on the drawing two pictures of acceptable locations for the box. One is up high 23 7/7 above the runners. However, one picture with no inch markings on it shows a junction box level or below the runners? (It kind of contradicts the obove statement of locating this box "above" the runners.

As always I appreciate the help.

p.s. concernign my previous electrical switch question, I decided to put the switches back the way they were and to add another outlet properly, by teeing off an existing outlet in the bathroom.

Well, My oven will not fit. It hits the metal junction box. It needs to go about 1/2 inch deeper. My box is metal, and is attached flush to the sheetrock. It is screwed through the box with a simple wood screw into a stud.

So, what is the best way to go here? My cabinet where the oven fits is a square. Wood on sides and a plywood top and bottom. Below the plywood bottom is a cabinet. Above the plywood top is also a cabinet. The bottom cabinet has drawers that slide in and out. Yp is just an open cabinet with doors.

The back of where the oven goes is the drywall wall. There is a metal junction box. It sits flush. There is a connector on the top that the metal sheath encasing the oven wires attaches to.

My thoughts are, can I somehow install the box into the drywall? Not sure how to make the connection then though.- Hide quoted text -

See the reply I made to RBM just a few minutes ago. His comments
made me recall that I had this exact problem with a Kitchenaid double
oven.
Looks like they make them expecting the box to be recessed into the
drywall
by at least a 1/2". All I did was cut out an opening over a stud,
then
fasten the box directly to the stud. That put the box back into the
wall
by 1/2" and still leaves the cable connector coming out flush with
the drywall. I also has to move the box slightly, but had enough
cable to work with to do it.

Another possibility is totally recess the box in the wall, get a cover
plate with a 1/2" knock out, and connect to the plate with a 90 degree
connector. In that location heat is a question.

Or move the box to the cabinet below. You are then working at the back
of a smaller space to connect the oven (while it is in place), which may
be harder than connecting the oven when it is out. If there is not
enough space behind the drawers, mount the box as above.

If the wiring is from above it may be easy to move the box up.

You may be able to move the box to an adjacent space as in John's post.