Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wall oven junction box location.

On Apr 1, 9:36*pm, "TomR" wrote:
"John Grabowski" wrote in message

I am replacing my wife's wall oven with the same size oven. (24 inch). The
old oven has been there for at least 12 years.
....,
Anyway, the question I have concerns the junction box. My current box is
located on the surface of the drywall directly on the back wall off the
opening and toward the bottom. The directions say, "locate an approved
junction box, in the suggested location, a minimum of 23 7/8 above the
runners".

*It looks to me like the junction box can be located above or below the
oven, but not behind. *This is so it is accessible. *23 7/8" is the
minimum height to the bottom of the junction box. *If the existing oven
feed wire is not long enough to go in the cabinet above the oven, it can
be brought down into the cabinet below the oven.

That's what I would have thought too -- that the idea was to have the
junction box be above or below the oven, but not behind it.

But, when I look at the installation instructions, I can't quite figure that
part out. *It looks like it shows the height of the bottom of the upper
junction box as a minimum of 23 7/8 inches up from the bottom of the oven..
But, it shows the height of the oven itself as being dimension "H", which is
28 1/4 inches. *That would put the upper junction box behind the oven,
although it looks like it would be above the oven in the diagram. *It may be
that I am not reading the diagram correctly, or maybe the oven is recessed
in the bottom where it sits on the two 2x4 runners, and maybe the height of
the oven is actually less than 28 1/4 inches -- more like 24 inches.

The only wall oven that I ever looked at was just recently and it was a
single oven with the junction box located on the back wall of the cabinet
below the oven. *So, I had access to the junction box without taking out the
oven.

Overall, and despite whatever the diagram does or does not actually show, I
think the concept is that they would recommend that the junction box be
above or below the oven on the back wall of either the cabinet above or the
cabinet below.

I put in a Kitchenaid double oven couple years ago. It had
an area where the box was supposed to be and the area
was directly behind the ovens in the lower part. The oven
cabinet didn't go back as far in that lower area, which was
quite large. I would think that contrary to your comment,
most ovens are designed to have the box behind them.
Often you don't have easy access to areas above or below.
And the ovens I installed came with a flex BX type cable
that easily slid in with the ovens.