Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] generic@internet.com is offline

Default Salt for melting snow

On Tue, 2 Apr 2013 05:23:01 +0000, nestork
wrote:

'Steve B[_13_ Wrote:
;3039542']I have a situation at our cabin. The last of the approach to
the cabin is
about 1/4 mile. It goes up and down hills. One is a little steep. It
is
also shaded. It is crowned with a pack of snow from 12 to 18 " thick.
It
looks like it could take a few more weeks to melt in the shade.

I wanted to take some coarse salt and sprinkle on it, and help it go
away so
that we can get all the way to the cabin. Right now, there is a chance
of a
vehicle high centering on it. Will the salt particles melt through that

much snow, and clear that?

I have never lived in an area where we used salt on snow, so am
unfamiliar
with this. Help appreciated. We also have one of the weed burners that

sounds like a F15 that we could take up there and just melt it, but was

thinking about the snow idea. I think both would cost about the same,
and
be the same effort.

Steve

Steve:

Is this a foot path that you're wanting to clear the snow off of or a
road?
Initially, I thought you were talking about a foot path, but then you
expressed concern that a vehicle could high center on it.

Forget the weed burner idea; you'll just turn that road or path into a
skating rink cuz the water won't get warm enough to drain completely
away. You'll make water that's just a little warmer than freezing that
drains away a little and then refreeze again. You'll end up with 3 or 4
inches of solid ice on your path/road instead of 12 to 18 inches of hard
packed snow. Then you'll have a harder time getting up that hill than
you do now.

I think the OP should just hire someone with a snowplow and be dont with
it. I live on a farm, I use salt on spots that are in places where I
might fall, like the sidewalk to the house, in front of the hayshed,
etc. But doing a large area is gonna require a lot of salt, and that
salt can and will damage the grass in the summer. It just seems like a
big waste of money and time, considering the snow will all melt in a
week or two anyhow, but a snowplow would do the job if it must be done
now, and likely with less hassle and about the same price if the right
guy is found. In other words, a guy who is fairly priced. The few
times I've had to hire someone, I get the job done for $75 to $100 (long
driveway). Yet, some guy quoted me $500 for the same driveway. I made
sure to tell others that he's a crook and to not hire him, while the
guys who charge a fair price have gotten lots of referrals from me.