Posted to sci.electronics.repair
amdx[_2_] amdx[_2_] is offline

Default Cleaning smoke residue from old plastic

On 4/2/2013 8:05 AM, amdx wrote:
On 4/2/2013 7:56 AM, amdx wrote:
On 4/2/2013 6:25 AM, Gareth Magennis wrote:
Hi,

I have a Roland TR909 here where the cream plastic casing has yellowed,
probably due to smoking in the studio.
What is the best stuff to clean this off with?
This is now a valuable antique and damaging it in any way is not an
option.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Take some time and do a search for THE method.

Never mind I did it for you.

Here is the nuts! (even though that seems wrong, in this context I think
the grammar is correct)

http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/

It's pretty involved but it looks like it does a GREAT job.
Mikek

It seems after reading the whole page, you need to go further to get
the actual recipe.
Mikek

I found this recipe in this thread.
http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=1480

There was a lot of research on this project.
Follow up on the method it also uses UV light, some just us the sun.

We have been asked for a preferred recipe for Retr0bright, so here it is:-

1 pint (568ml) Hydrogen Peroxide, 10 to 12% Strength (this is bought
over the counter at 12% strength or you can dilute the 35% grade)

1 Heaped Tablespoonful (approx. 45 grammes or 1/2 an ounce) of Xanthan Gum

1 Teaspoonful of Glycerine

Once this has been mixed together, to activate it, you add:-

1/4 teaspoonful (about 4 grammes) of an 'Oxy' based laundry booster,
e.g. Oxiclean, Vanish, etc.