nestork nestork is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B[_13_] View Post
I have a situation at our cabin. The last of the approach to the cabin is
about 1/4 mile. It goes up and down hills. One is a little steep. It is
also shaded. It is crowned with a pack of snow from 12 to 18 " thick. It
looks like it could take a few more weeks to melt in the shade.

I wanted to take some coarse salt and sprinkle on it, and help it go away so
that we can get all the way to the cabin. Right now, there is a chance of a
vehicle high centering on it. Will the salt particles melt through that
much snow, and clear that?

I have never lived in an area where we used salt on snow, so am unfamiliar
with this. Help appreciated. We also have one of the weed burners that
sounds like a F15 that we could take up there and just melt it, but was
thinking about the snow idea. I think both would cost about the same, and
be the same effort.

Steve
Steve:

Is this a foot path that you're wanting to clear the snow off of or a road?
Initially, I thought you were talking about a foot path, but then you expressed concern that a vehicle could high center on it.

Forget the weed burner idea; you'll just turn that road or path into a skating rink cuz the water won't get warm enough to drain completely away. You'll make water that's just a little warmer than freezing that drains away a little and then refreeze again. You'll end up with 3 or 4 inches of solid ice on your path/road instead of 12 to 18 inches of hard packed snow. Then you'll have a harder time getting up that hill than you do now.

Last edited by nestork : April 2nd 13 at 06:38 AM