Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_17_] Frank[_17_] is offline

Default Salt for melting snow

On 4/1/2013 12:00 PM, Steve B wrote:
I have a situation at our cabin. The last of the approach to the cabin is
about 1/4 mile. It goes up and down hills. One is a little steep. It is
also shaded. It is crowned with a pack of snow from 12 to 18 " thick. It
looks like it could take a few more weeks to melt in the shade.

I wanted to take some coarse salt and sprinkle on it, and help it go away so
that we can get all the way to the cabin. Right now, there is a chance of a
vehicle high centering on it. Will the salt particles melt through that
much snow, and clear that?

I have never lived in an area where we used salt on snow, so am unfamiliar
with this. Help appreciated. We also have one of the weed burners that
sounds like a F15 that we could take up there and just melt it, but was
thinking about the snow idea. I think both would cost about the same, and
be the same effort.

Steve

Salt does not melt through snow. It dissolves and lowers the freezing
point of water which is the melting. Eventually it becomes too dilute
to have much effect. Point is you may need a lot of salt to get the job
done.