Posted to uk.d-i-y
Alexander Lamaison Alexander Lamaison is offline

Default How many 2.5mm T&E into a 13A socket?

harry writes:

On Apr 1, 3:51*pm, Roger Mills wrote:
On 01/04/2013 13:05, Tim Watts wrote:

If your additional appliance is not power hungry, and given one load is tiny
and the other is heavy but very intermittent (dishwasher - only *heavy for
the short time the heater runs) could you use one of the triple faceplates
over the old double backbox?

The new appliance (boiling water tap) has a 3kW heater but is
intermittent - only coming on to top up the temperature of its
reservoir. The dishwasher is a heavy user - but only when running. The
food waste disposer only runs for a few seconds at a time when we want
to get rid of some solid food waste.

The existing double outlet is surface mounted on the side of the
cabinet, just inside the door - with the wiring coming from the back in
a conduit. So the accessibility isn't too much of a problem. I could
potentially convert it to a triple with (say) a Screwfix 17315 *- but
that has a 13A fuse, which would probably blow if the water heater and
dishwasher both operated at the same time. Also, a triple would extend
further into the cabinet (unless mounted vertically) and wouldn't clear
the body of the waste disposer.

So I still think that the best bet is to install an additional single or
double surface mounted socket in close proximity to the existing one.
Each appliance can then draw up to 13A with impunity whenever it wants to.
--

If it's a 3Kw appliance, it would be better on a separate circuit
wired back to the CU rather than on the ring.

Oh come on. We'll be running new circuits for kettles next.

Alex

--
Swish - Easy SFTP for Windows Explorer (http://www.swish-sftp.org)