Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wall oven junction box location.

On Apr 1, 1:06*pm, "TomR" wrote:
wrote:
On Monday, April 1, 2013 9:47:22 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I am replacing my wife's wall oven with the same size oven. (24
inch). The old oven has been there for at least 12 years.

*Here is a link to the manual for my oven. Page 2 figure 1. (It is a
single oven)
http://s3.amazonaws.com/szmanuals/8a...c581cc49d48942

At first, I thought the purpose of the two possible junction box locations
was so that it would be accessible with the oven in place (inside a
cabinet), and so it wouldn't be an inaccessible "blind junction box".

But, when I look at the drawings and dimensions, it appears that both
suggested locations could still be behind the oven, so I guess my "blind
junction box" theory doesn't hold up. *I guess it is okay for a junction box
to be in a wall behind and appliance,

That is how 99% of wall ovens are installed.

and now that I think about it, I have
seen dishwasher junction boxes in the wall behind the dishwasher. *That
leaves me thinking that maybe they don't want the junction box directly
behind the hottest part of the oven and they want it near the top (or
higher) or near the bottom (or lower).

I would suspect it's more a matter of the BX type cable
coming from the oven having a place to gracefully go
without sharp bends.

As you can see, I don't know the answer. *But, if it were me, I think I
would just leave the junction box where it is and was all along.