Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller[_4_] Doug Miller[_4_] is offline

Default Salt for melting snow

"Steve B" wrote in :

I have a situation at our cabin. The last of the approach to the cabin is
about 1/4 mile. It goes up and down hills. One is a little steep. It is
also shaded. It is crowned with a pack of snow from 12 to 18 " thick. It
looks like it could take a few more weeks to melt in the shade.

I wanted to take some coarse salt and sprinkle on it, and help it go away so
that we can get all the way to the cabin. Right now, there is a chance of a
vehicle high centering on it. Will the salt particles melt through that
much snow, and clear that?

Nope. Not unless you use a truckload of salt.

I have never lived in an area where we used salt on snow, so am unfamiliar
with this.

The proper tool for snow removal is a shovel for small amounts, a plow for large amounts. If
the snow is more than a few inches deep, salt is ineffective.