Posted to alt.home.repair
Danny D.[_8_] Danny D.[_8_] is offline

Default How do you snake a kitchen sink & how to remove a corrodedsteelnipple when only 1/4" sticks out?

On Mon, 01 Apr 2013 03:44:25 +0000 nestork wrote:
http://www.plomberie-drain-debouchag...pl-1-1000.jpg]

Nice diagram!

It helps me anticipate and compare.
In my sister's case, the horizontal cleanout is a few feet BELOW
the kitchen sink because the kitchen is on an outside wall. I sent
a 75 foot snake into that cleanout, but, of course, it did nothing
because it doesn't go UP into the kitchen right above it.

Also, the diagram shows TWO threaded fittings on the "P pipe".
But I only have one threaded fitting; the other is glued and is only
threaded at the sink itself about a foot above the trap.

it's stupid to put the clean out in the trap arm the way it's
depicted in the drawing because there normally won't be room for a wye
there, and it's located where it creates three more connections that
could possible leak.

Luckily, my sister's house is as you would like it. That cleanout
is actually OUTSIDE the house (just below the kitchen window and off
a bit to the side). The cleanout juts outside the outside wall.

A 1 1/2 inch P-trap should be big enough to prevent anything from clogging
up that trap.

My sis didn't maliciously clog the p trap, and I wish I had a picture
of the 4 inches of ground up eggshells that I fished out of the trap,
but, certainly it couldn't handle a batch of Easter eggs!

Today, at Home Depot, I'll try to see if I can replace with as big a
pipe as I can get in there.

That way, you can always remove the p-trap to clear it without having to
worry that it's going to leak when you put it back in. If it does, you
just glue up a new p-trap and put it in. Without that Fernco in there,
if the p-trap leaks at it's middle union, you gotta start unscrewing it
from the tee in the wall.

This is a very useful idea and I will see if that will fit with the
room that I have (not much) between the P trap and the vertical steel
pipe in the wall.

Thanks for all the advice! I will post pictures later today as I'm getting
ready after dropping the kids off at school.