Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Grinding lathe bed.

On Sat, 30 Mar 2013 23:43:56 -0700, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 30 Mar 2013 21:10:21 -0700, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
On Fri, 29 Mar 2013 16:13:03 -0700, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:

snip

Tracking down Pneumo Precision, after Jim and anorton reminded me
about that optical turning business, I came across this old paper that
I had forgotten about. I'll bet you'll be interested. It's not long,
and it's packed with information:

"On the Design of Ultra Precise Machine Slides"

http://www.praecisinc.com/PDF%20File... %20Slides.pdf

--or, in short--

http://tinyurl.com/d5msovs

Why, thank you very much, Ed...

I mean it really I do.

I hope it's accurate. The guys behind Pneumo Precision were considered
to be experts in the field.

Admittedly some of it looks sketchy...but in all, a pretty good read.

I'm convinced that over the years you've come to realize how fascinated I am
with tribology and kinematics....much appreciated.

I thought you were. I used to cover it for American Machinist, but I
never got into it very deeply. They gave me a book on tribology once
upon a time and it was packed with equations. It was a slow read and I
don't think I retained any of it.

I always get a kick out of the gun nutz, and ballistics--for instance, you
can point a gun directly towards the guy sitting next to you, or you can
point it nearly straight up....

--and then there's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxvsHNRXLjw

"Intuitively one might think that the ball will go over the monkey's head
due to its fast speed. However, gravity accelerates all objects downward at
the same rate, meaning the monkey and the ball will meet at exactly the same
point. If the ball was shot even faster, it would still hit the monkey, but
higher above the ground."

Ha-ha! Sometimes I think they have too much fun at MIT. g

--
Ed Huntress