Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] generic@internet.com is offline

Default Military??? Garden hose

I was at an auction and bought a 20 to 25 foot piece of garden hose last
year, for a dollar. That's the best dollar I ever spent. That hose is
a soft rubber type of material, and does not get stiff in cold weather,
and resists kinking. (I say "RESISTS", because there is no such thing
as a kink-free hose, even if advertisers say there is).

Anyhow, the hose is Army green in color, and it appears to be pretty
old. Yet it's soft and has no cracks or defects, except one of the
fittings was put on with a hose clamp, so I assume it was once longer.
Since I have livestock, I fill water tanks all winter, and I learned
that modern nylon reinforced plastic hoses are almost useless in the
cold. They get so stiff they simply crack in half. I did buy several
50ft black rubber hoses that were rather pricey, but they have held up
well for many years. However, they are stiffer than my Army green one,
and get more stiff in cold weather. This Army green one is just as soft
and flexible and easy to use in any temperature.

I'm wondering if this might actually be a military hose? Do they make
them? I'm asking, because I'd really like to try to find some more of
this type of hose. It's the best hose I've ever had. I only wish it
was longer. No other hose I've looked at in the stores compares to it.
Even the most costly all rubber ones are a lot stiffer, and I wont even
consider using the reinforced plastic ones in cold weather anymore.
They just dont hold up and get so stiff they are just too hard to use.

One other thing, those black rubber hoses that I bought, which have held
up well, despite getting stiffer in cold weather, so have one drawback.
Apparently the black in their rubber contains a lot of carbon. If I
touch that hose against an electric fence, I'll get zapped, even at the
other end, which is 50ft. away. No one has said why that happens. Even
the manufacturer could not explain it. I just know to make sure it dont
touch the electric fence. The Army green one does not conduct
electricity, so that makes it a lot safer too.

Anyone have amy idea where the hose came from? Could it be military
grade?