Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Search and Rescue

On 30/03/2013 17:38, harry wrote:
Little tax is paid by low earners.

True. Unfortunately though, the way the benfits system is set up, if you
take a job with low wages, the effective tax rate on your extra income
can exceed 100%.

When I was a lad, people moved house to get a job.

Not possible now in a lot of cases, as they can't afford the new rent on
the wages where the work is.

Nobody on low pay had a car anyway.

Unless you live in the right position relative to your place of work,
public transport isn't a cost-effective way to get to work. Or, in my
case, a possible way. It takes 6 minutes to drive there, 40 minutes to
walk or 20 minutes to cycle along a dangerous lane, or up to an hour by bus.

I ate sandwiches made at home.

Lots of people still do.

Low paid work leads on to higher paid work.

Low paid work leads to employers wondering why all you can get is a low
paid job. So they won't consider you for anything else.

I changed job for less money on a few occasions for better prospects.

Good for you. I'm glad it worked out. You are one of the few.

Lack of ambition and idleness is at the root of all their misfortunes
in this country.

Or, take the position of someone I know who is an alcoholic. He has
excellent qualifications, the equivalent of A-levels and NVQs, but can't
even get a job here flipping burgers because he hasn't got enough GCSEs.
Never mind his computing qualifications, which are equivalent to a
degree, but not from this country. He is a British citizen.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.