Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default ESR meters again

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Jules Richardson writes:

I seem to be accumulating a pile of things with faults that are most
likely down to dodgy capacitors, but my homebrew ESR meter's one of
those things that is still in deep storage back in the UK. So...

I repair lots of things, but I haven't yet needed an ESR meter. To test,
I simply parallel up a new capacitor, and see if that fixes the issue.

Not much use with tantalum which can fail short circuit. ;-)

Checking a suspect cap with an ESR meter is so much quicker than by
substitution, etc. I'd say it's one of those things you may not miss if
you've never had one.

My Bob Parker kit one was pretty expensive, but still paid for itself.
They're a lot cheaper now with even cheaper alternatives.

--
*It doesn't take a genius to spot a goat in a flock of sheep *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.