Posted to rec.woodworking
Gramp's shop[_2_] Gramp's shop[_2_] is offline

Default New bench

My forthcoming move to the new shop is underway. Three double drops have been installed in the ceiling of the two-bay garage, running off a dedicated 20 amp service. I thought about adding a 220 circuit and moving the DC and TS to 220, but concluded it wasn't worth the time or money.

I will now have room for a proper bench. I have a stock of reclaimed 8/4 cherry that is in 6-inch x 8-foot planks for the tops and legs. Top skirt will be hard maple. Finish will be Watco natural, although my first instinct was 4-5 coats of semigloss poly -- but the guys at Sawmill Creek dissuaded me.

Question for today is on the vises, dogs and dog holes. I'm planning on both a front left vise and a side vise. I'm leaning toward the front vises at Lee Valley: http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...=1,41659,41661. I think the smaller of the two will suffice, but I could be nudged toward the larger. Your thoughts?

For the tail vise, Lee Valley offers: http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...36&cat=1,41659

With respect to the dog holes, it will be a lot easier cutting square holes before glue-up of the top than boring 3/4 inch holes through 2 inch cherry.. Any thoughts on this approach? I plan on making my own dogs, although I saw some metal ones at Rockler the other day with a spring strip that would make them adjustable in height.

Looking forward to the usual lively discussion.

Larry