Posted to rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.bmw
AMuzi AMuzi is offline

Default Root cause insight into the common BMW blower motor resistorfailures

On 3/29/2013 12:18 PM, Cydrome Leader wrote:
In sci.electronics.repair Scott Dorsey wrote:
Cydrome Leader wrote:
In sci.electronics.repair Scott Dorsey wrote:
Nothing wrong with linear motor control, it's just inefficient and
produces a lot of heat. I used to work in a place with a 1.2 MW DC
motor whose field coil voltage was controlled by a couple rooms full
of cast-iron resistors. The resistance array lasted nearly 80 years
before the whole facility was taken down.

I've got ask- what was this motor used for?

pumping station? mining equipment steel mill?

You could call it a sort of wind tunnel. Now obsolete, in great part due
to computer modelling making analysis tools like that less important, and
in great part due to computer modelling of the tools making it possible to
make less turbulent tunnels.
--scott

so there was an 80 year old giant windtunnel somewhere?

You're joking, right?

1901:
http://airandspace.si.edu/wrightbrot.../1901/wind.cfm

very modern 1935: