Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default ESR meters again

On Friday, March 29, 2013 5:46:10 PM UTC, Jules Richardson wrote:
I seem to be accumulating a pile of things with faults that are most

likely down to dodgy capacitors, but my homebrew ESR meter's one of those

things that is still in deep storage back in the UK. So...

1) I know that there was a thread a few weeks ago about ESR meters, and

someone suggested one that was being sold on ebay - I think that

listing's gone, but the site seems to be awash with others (all via

China) which I believe are exactly the same product (e.g. http://

tinyurl.com/ces3y7m). They all show a capacitor hooked directly to the

meter, though - so can anyone confirm that this meter is suitable for in-

circuit testing? (typically I think meters output a sine wave around

100kHz with an amplitude below that which will trip TTL logic gates, do

they not?)

2) Any other recommendations for a cheap meter? I really don't need

inductance, transistor testing etc. as my DMM does that anyway ,so just

plain ol' ESR will do.

3) Any recommendations for schematics for a DIY meter? I think I've got

at least one moving-coil meter in the junk box, and a few op-amps of

various types. I don't think I've got the schematic for the "in-storage"

meter that I built any more. There are quite a few schematics available

via google, but I don't know if any of them are any good or not...

cheers

Jules

Amazon £12-15, test L,C&ESR,R,etc

NT