Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Grinding lathe bed.

"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote in message

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message

I remachined a well-worn Sears 109 on a big horizontal mill in the
high school shop night class. It did a nice smooth job with four
passes of a new angle cutter, without having to unclamp it and lose
parallelism. Lowering the ways lowered the saddle, and drops the
half
nuts out of line with the leadscrew. I thought I could shim the
saddle
back up with 0.025" sheet brass strips but they weren't flat enough
after bending the ends up to keep them in place. Now I use it as a
speed lathe for polishing and drilling small deep oil holes.
jsw

-Lower the leadscrew instead.

The holes for it are part of the bed casting and 21" apart, and I
don't have a horizontal boring machine.
jsw