Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg Guarino[_2_] Greg Guarino[_2_] is offline

Default How many clamps... More on cauls..

On 3/27/2013 9:42 PM, woodchucker wrote:
I added a few more pics to show how much I can bend these cauls.
I can get them flat, but with different clamps . Not enough travel with
those.

http://imgur.com/a/wLzRs#0

A woodworker can never have too many clamps, or enough clamp helpers.

Thanks for the added pictures. That was very helpful of you.

How did you determine the curvature for the long cauls, trial and error?
Cauls like that could have simplified my bookcase glue-up, and I have 3
more to do. I also might not have bought 8 of The World's Cheapest Bar
Clamps (tm). They were of some use - I put them on last to fill in
between other clamps - but I have half a mind to cut six inches off
them. They are 24" long, but it's hard to imagine them being of any use
at that length. They bowed quite "gracefully" at the 13" or so I had
them open.

I like your corner cauls too, but I wonder if a curve on the outside
corner might be an improvement over the "flat". With anything other than
a square box, the clamp will only contact one corner of your cauls
anyway. With a slight curve, the clamp could make the same amount of
contact, but more "centered" (or so it seems to my untutored eye).