Posted to rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.bmw
Bimmer Owner Bimmer Owner is offline

Default Root cause insight into the common BMW blower motorresistorfailures

On Wed, 27 Mar 2013 18:37:20 -0700, jim beam wrote:

i don't know who you think you're talking to, but i have consistently
advocated /not/ deconstructing this unit. it's not worth it when cost
of replacement isn't that high or you can build an alternate controller
that will be more reliable.

Regarding cost, it seems we can get aftermarket parts for about $100;
and the part at the BMW dealership cost about $175.

Regarding repair, some have intimated that unpotting and resoldering
is a solution.

If that's true, then that might be a viable "fix".

However, I must ask: If it works without potting, and especially if the
potting is what's causing the problem, then what was the original purpose
of the potting in the first place?