Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg Guarino[_2_] Greg Guarino[_2_] is offline

Default How many clamps?

On Mar 28, 5:29*am, "dadiOH" wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 3/27/13 1:48 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"-MIKE-" wrote:

I gave up spending the time and effort to even try to make them
flush when gluing and setting up. *Now I simply make install them a
bit proud on purpose and then trim them flush with a pattern bit in
the router.
------------------------------------------ Be carefull.

I've used this technique and had a bit that cleaned up the wood but
also left cutter marks on the plywood.

After that ran test cuts with a different bit.

No problems.

Lew

You are correct, not all bits are the same. *I prefer a to start with
a quality bit that is more likely to have an exact match between the
cutter and the bearing.

This isn't to say that a cheap bit will be off, but testing on some
scrap is recommended. *We talking thou's here, so it's not something
you can see by looking at the edge of the bit or even using a
straight edge to check.

ALSO... if you're not perfectly square to the table, meaning there
will be a slight angle to the pattern bit, you can end up cutting
into the plywood surface. *DAMHIKT. * :-)

You can also guard against this by raising your bit *only* high enough
to cut the solid wood and not the plywood. *It's tricky, but I've
gotten pretty good and fast at it.

For those less experienced, one can also leave a sliver of wood which is
then easily removed with a chisel. *Or file.

It can also be done other ways; by hand, eg. *I've also done it with planer
blades in a molding head on a radial arm saw.

I used a rabbet plane to trim down the solid oak edging around a
desktop I made. The picture quality is lacking, but these photos
illustrate the concept:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...7874/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...7691/lightbox/

It was easy to set the plane's fence to cut only the edging. I think I
may even have set the depth stop to be flush with the bottom of the
plane iron at first, but I may have been afraid it would leave
scratches; I don't see it in the pictures I took.