Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default How many clamps?

-MIKE- wrote:
On 3/27/13 1:48 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"-MIKE-" wrote:

I gave up spending the time and effort to even try to make them
flush when gluing and setting up. Now I simply make install them a
bit proud on purpose and then trim them flush with a pattern bit in
the router.

------------------------------------------ Be carefull.

I've used this technique and had a bit that cleaned up the wood but
also left cutter marks on the plywood.

After that ran test cuts with a different bit.

No problems.

Lew

You are correct, not all bits are the same. I prefer a to start with
a quality bit that is more likely to have an exact match between the
cutter and the bearing.

This isn't to say that a cheap bit will be off, but testing on some
scrap is recommended. We talking thou's here, so it's not something
you can see by looking at the edge of the bit or even using a
straight edge to check.

ALSO... if you're not perfectly square to the table, meaning there
will be a slight angle to the pattern bit, you can end up cutting
into the plywood surface. DAMHIKT. :-)

You can also guard against this by raising your bit *only* high enough
to cut the solid wood and not the plywood. It's tricky, but I've
gotten pretty good and fast at it.

For those less experienced, one can also leave a sliver of wood which is
then easily removed with a chisel. Or file.

It can also be done other ways; by hand, eg. I've also done it with planer
blades in a molding head on a radial arm saw.

--

dadiOH