Martin Angove

Default power shower feed

In message ,
"manoman" wrote:

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
t...
I am fitting a power shower in my bathroom, and need a 3A switched

supply.
Is it ok to spur off my imersion heater supply with a 3A switched fuse?

This
is the nearest available supply and has its own supply from the consumer
unit.

Very probably. The immersion is probably a 3kW @ 240V, taking 12.5A. No
diversity would be allowed for this. However, I doubt the pump takes more
than 2.5A (probably more like 1A continuous), so it should be fine for a

15A
circuit. Obviously there is no issue for a 16A circuit either.

Christian.

stunning, cheers for the info guys.

Actually this is forbidden in the Regs / On Site Guide. Fixed heating of
vessels more than 15l must be supplied by their own dedicated circuit.

In practice though, you may get away with it. The question is that if
your immersion *is* taking 12.5A and your pump *does* take 2.5A (or more
on startup - could cause nuisance tripping), what happens when they're
working at the same time, which is more than likely? The circuit is
working "at capacity" for the length of your shower and although this
should be fine, if everything was calculated / installed correctly, you
leave yourself no leeway.

It's up to you, but I'd be looking for the upstairs socket ring from
which to spur or, if desperate, a lighting circuit.

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove: http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/