Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nightjar Nightjar is offline

Default OT Search and Rescue

On 27/03/2013 20:59, bert wrote:
In message , Nightjar
writes
On 27/03/2013 18:50, bert wrote:
In message , Nightjar
writes
On 27/03/2013 00:12, bert wrote:
In message , Nightjar
writes
On 26/03/2013 16:41, harry wrote:
On Mar 26, 4:37 pm, Nightjar
wrote:
On 26/03/2013 16:21, harry wrote:

Latest thing to be sold off, search and rescue.
Sign the e-petition here about this matter.

https://submissions.epetitions.direc...etitions/45283

HM Coastguard runs the ones around here and AIUI, they will
oversee the
new service in much the same way. Personally, in times when the
Services' budget is being cut, I would rather see what money
there is
going to equip the troops on the front lines. It is not as if we
need to
get a lot of downed pilots out of The Channel these days.

Colin Bignell

Tch. The service is for ANYONE in trouble on land or sea.
They fly in all weathers,sea rescue, mountain rescue civilians
military etc.

Exactly, so what particular reason is there for the SAR to be a
military operation? As I said, the Coastguard do it around here and
the Police helicopter also does searches.

Colin Bignell
Mountain rescue helicopters are run by RAF. Their main purpose is
recovery of RAF pilots

How many downed RAF pilots needed to be rescued last year?

Colin Bignell

.

Nos are irrelevant Plots are quite valuable

They are very relevant if, as claimed, the main purpose is the
recovery of RAF pilots.

Colin Bignell

That is it's raison d'être. The civilian stuff has grown out of that.

As it is primarily civilian stuff these days, why not have civilian
operators? Bristow have already saved more than 7,000 lives in the UK in
over 15,000 missions.

Colin Bignell